Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sparta PD Internship Week 3 (5/21-5/25)

This week was the week I was looking forward to the most because I had the opportunity to work with the detectives of the Sparta PD. Becoming a detective is my ultimate career goal so this was a great opportunity to learn about what it takes to be a police detective. The week started with watch interviews with suspects that they had on record, it was funny to see how many suspects lie in the beginning but change their story and slowly start to tell the truth throughout the interview. The second day was a day I'll never forget I had to go with one detective and one uniform officer to a gentlemen's home to inform him that his son had passed away that morning, it was suspected that it was a suicide and the father was devastated. This was something that I had never been exposed to so it was an eye opening experience. There is a lot of procedure that goes into informing  the surviving kin of a relatives passing such as, the victim can not be left alone till someone who can assist them arrives, such as a pastor or family member. There must be a uniform officer to present a professional appearance so to not confuse the victim, you must inform the victim of the passing simply and honestly and before you inform the victim the person must be seated because you don't know how the person will react to the news. Tomorrow I will be with one of the detectives going from school to school doing security checks. This week has not only showed me my favorite part of law enforcement but also the worst part by having to inform a father that his son has passed on.

No comments:

Post a Comment